Public Policy concerns issues that affect communities. It covers public works, city planning, regional development, highways, resource management, health, and disaster planning, among other things. It is mostly required in local government. However, some charities and lobby groups, as well as private entities, need these skills, too.
An online Public Policy Graduate Certificate is a suitable qualification for people coming from a variety of relevant backgrounds. Hone your skills into effective public policy to improve quality of life for the general public.
What Are the Online Public Policy Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Educational establishments that offer public policy graduate certificates expect the applying student to meet all the relevant criteria. While this can vary, most schools require the following:
- Minimum GPA, usually 2.5 or higher
- A master's degree from an accredited institution. Qualifications relevant to public policy like an MPP or MPA is not mandatory, but it is preferred
- Provide proof of your prior education through official transcripts
- Non-native English students may be asked to provide evidence of proficiency. Recognized qualifications include IELTS, PTEA, and TOEFL. Some may also recognize ELS 112.
- Two or more recommendation letters. These must be academic letters where possible. However, some employer references are acceptable for applicants with extensive work experience
- The application fee
- Personal statement or essay detailing your reasons for applying to this program and this college
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Public Policy Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Online public policy grad certificate programs can usually be completed in just several semesters, either on a full-time or part-time basis. Coursework may include the following:
- Foundations of Policy Analysis
- Advanced Policy Analysis
- Quantitative Methods for Policy Analytics
- Public Program Evaluation
- Economics for Public Policy
- Environment & Public Policy (sometimes called Climate Change & Public Policy)
- Public Policy Implementation
- Cybersecurity for Public Policy
- Public Health Policy
- Leadership Skills
- Technology & Public Policy
- Research Methodology
- Measuring Success in Public Policy
- Public-Private Finance & Partnership
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online Public Policy Graduate Certificate?
A public policy graduate certificate can lead to several careers in public service. Popular career pathways include:
- Campaign Manager: Working for an elected (or prospective) politician, you can help shape and influence a campaign by understanding what people feel about current policy or proposed changes.
- City Manager: Oversee urban development and ensure the smooth running of day-to-day activities within a city.
- Public Policy Director: In this role, you will develop strategies to manage and adapt to public policy decisions or influence the government on such issues.
- Federal Executive Branch: You could work in virtually any Federal government agency that requires public planners and policy developers – EPA, FEMA, military, civil service, and political offices.
- Scientific Advisor: If you have a background in any science and public policy, you could work as an advisor to Federal, state, or local governments in a range of areas.
Public Policy Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a public policy graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs