Data Analytics is a great career choice for a wide range of STEM graduates with strong proficiency in Information Technology and/or statistics. It can be applied to a range of careers including but not limited to data modeling, demographics and census, and GIS. It has applications in market research, strategic business planning, and government resource allocation.
This is a specialist role. As such, you might need further formal qualifications in the form of an online Data Analytics Graduate Certificate. These certificates are programs taken after you have completed a relevant master's degree to expand and complement your existing academic qualifications.
What Are the Online Data Analytics Graduate Certificate Requirements?
When applying for an online data analytics graduate certificate program, the school to which you apply may request certain qualifying criteria. They will vary from school to school, but you will typically find the following:
- A bachelor's and a master's degree in a technical field with a minimum GPA 3.0. Prestigious universities may ask for up to 3.5
- Most colleges will require minors in quantitative methods in IT, statistics, or both
- Official transcripts from all college/universities attended
- For those with working knowledge but little (or irrelevant) academic qualifications, some IT departments offer an academic waiver proficiency test
- International students may apply but must prove English language proficiency when not originating from a native English-speaking country. Recognized qualifications include TOEFL, IELTS, or PTEA. Some but not all colleges will accept ELS 112
- Two letters of recommendation from academic mentors. Work/employment recommendations are acceptable in some cases
- Application fee
- A personal statement in support of your application
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Data Analytics Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Data analytics grad certificate programs often require just a few semesters of coursework. A typical data analytics graduate certificate will have variations on the following course titles:
- Data Analytics Introduction
- Data Analytics Visualization
- Big Data
- Theoretical Statistics
- Applied Statistics
- Computational Statistics
- Information Presentation & Design
- Web Analytics and Data Mining
- Collecting, Storing, Organizing and Retrieving Data
- Principles of Machine Learning
- Artificial Intelligence as a tool of Data Analytics
- Quantitative Methodologies
- Data Analytics for Business Intelligence
- Data Management
- Data Privacy & Security (and Law)
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Data Analytics Graduate Certificate?
A data analytics graduate certificate has applications across government, private, and charitable sectors. Here are some career choices you might consider:
- Data Scientist: Information technology has multiple applications in STEM: environmental data modeling to gene mapping, geographic information systems for health analytics, and astronomy & astrophysics, to name a few.
- Data Analyst: The main difference between this and a data scientist is that an analyst has specific questions to answer (from a business, government etc.) while a data scientist seeks to make sense of available data.
- Business Analyst: Business requires data analysis in many areas such as marketing analysis, distribution and logistics, data storage & management, procurement, and resource allocation for campaigns.
- Operations Manager: In the private, public, and charitable sector, large-scale organizations need an operations team to keep everything moving. Data analytics is a part of this.
- Management Analyst: Use quantitative data to monitor performance, looking for ways to improve efficiency. May also work as an independent consultant.
- Financial Analyst: Data analysts are highly sought in the financial sector – investment banking, stock markets, and insurance can all benefit from financial analysis.
Data Analytics Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a data analytics graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs