Emergencies are a fact of life – we can't avoid them. When they do happen, it's important that we deal with them as rapidly as possible, to utilize resources effectively for minimum harm to people and the environment alike, from oil spills to natural disasters and collapsed buildings.
As both private and public sector need to deal with the effects of emergencies and disasters and put in place systems and procedures for responses. If you're interested in this type of career, a Graduate Certificate in Emergency and Disaster Management could be for you.
What Are the Online Emergency and Disaster Management Graduate Certificate Requirements?
US universities and colleges with dedicated Emergency and Disaster Management Graduate Certificate expect applying students to have achieved, or close to achieving, entry requirements:
- A CHEA fully accredited bachelor's degree in a relevant subject
- A minimum entry of GPA of 3.0 on the 4.0 scale
- Transcript copies as proof of status. If you're an international applicant, you will be required to convert your qualifications for USA equivalents
- Copies of a government issued ID (driver's license, passport)
- Some schools may request a personal statement from you explaining your background and career path
- Two or three recommendation letters
- Non-refundable application fee and form
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Emergency and Disaster Management Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Each graduate certificate in Emergency and Disaster Management is made up of various courses. Some are obligatory while you will choose from a group of electives for the remainder of the program:
- Emergency Management and Public Law
- Emergency and Disaster Planning and Management
- Interagency Disaster Management
- Hazard Mitigation and Resilient Communities
- Information Technology in Emergency Management
- Integrated Emergency Management
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online Emergency and Disaster Management Graduate Certificate?
- Emergency planning team: What will happen in the event of a disaster? What needs to be done in that critical early period? What should the organizational response be? Planning for disasters is key to properly dealing with issues as they arise
- Emergency management director: Disasters need organizational managers to direct operations and resources through the duration of the disaster, overseeing the responses from start to finish
- Emergency response specialist: The first few hours of a response to an emergency can often be critical. You will be responsible for assembling the team and resources and often be first on site, or overseeing those who are
- Risk management analyst: This is the process of assessing the capacity for disasters to happen. Analysts need a specific set of skills for assessing the likelihood and potential consequences
- Policy analyst: What are the policiesfor an organization? How well do they work? These are the questions that will form the basis of your job, understanding and developing policy
Online Emergency and Disaster Management Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in an emergency and disaster management graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|University of Hawaii
|Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance Graduate Certificate
|New Orleans, LA
|Online - Graduate Certificate in Disaster Management
|Both - Disaster & Emergency Management Graduate Certificate
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs