Liberal Arts & Studies Graduate Certificates Areas of Interest
A Liberal Arts & Studies Graduate Certificate (sometimes referred to as a post-bachelor’s or post-master's certificate) is a specialized certificate within the field of Liberal Arts, most commonly aimed at students who already hold a bachelor’s or master's degree and want to hone their studies further. Liberal Arts encompass a broad subject area based on intellectual pursuits such as literature, humanities, creative arts, and much more. Those interested in one of the subject areas within Liberal Arts may wish to deepen their knowledge through a graduate certificate, which can often lead to expanded employment opportunities. Graduate certificates enable students to advance their education without having to enroll in a lengthy master’s or Ph.D. program, saving them both time and money. Here are some key things to consider before enrolling in a Liberal Arts & Studies grad certificate program:
- Liberal Arts graduate certificates typically take around one year of full-time study to complete (depending on the subject area and prior education)
- When available, part-time schedules may spread the program out over 2+ years
- While the exact number of credits needed to complete a Liberal Arts grad certificate will vary from school to school, most programs require between 12 and 18 credits
- A bachelor’s or master's degree in a related subject is typically required
- For some career areas, additional certification and licensing may be required upon completing the graduate certificate program (for example, those who wish to teach, etc.)
Earning a graduate certificate in the Liberal Arts & Studies field can:
- Give you niche knowledge in a subject area you are passionate about
- Open up a wider array of career opportunities
- Boost employability across a range of sectors
- Improve earning potential
- Open up opportunities in leadership, management, and senior-level roles
- Provide access to professional networking
- Demonstrate your commitment to lifelong learning
- Prepare you for further graduate or Ph.D. studies if you choose to continue your education (many credits can be applied toward a higher degree)
Liberal Arts & Studies graduate certificates come in a variety of specialty areas, including:
Creative Writing Graduate Certificates are advanced qualifications for English grads who wish to enter creative writing as a career. This is typically suited for those who wish to become novelists or fiction writers, but it is also suitable for editing, screenwriting, poetry, and play writing careers.
Digital Humanities is an applied method of delving into human sciences. These programs are ideal for students who seek niche skills in this field.
If you have a passion for the written word, an English Literature Graduate Certificate may be suitable for you. You will learn advanced analytics and comparative studies, among other things. Career choices include teaching literature in schools or colleges, reviewing books, and more.
Those who seek a graduate certificate in Linguistics often come from a background in communications, creative writing, and language graduates. This certificate also helps those who have studied cultural disciplines.
Philosophy & Ethics Graduate Certificates are ideal for those with a liberal arts and studies background who wish to pursue a career in politics, government, academia, mediation, and much more.
Sociology is the study of human social relationships and institutions. This humanities subject is valued in various job roles and settings.