Health Education Graduate Certificate Programs
Those who want to help their communities get and stay healthy may be interested in pursuing a health education graduate certificate. This online graduate certificate option delivers instruction on how to develop and deliver strong public health programs that create lasting positive change within their communities. Professionals who pursue an online graduate certificate in health education come from many backgrounds, including political science, healthcare, fitness/wellness, and more.
The requirements for admission to a health education graduate certificate program differ from school to school. While prior work in health education may not be a requirement for admission to a certificate program, it can help make an applicant more competitive.
Requirements for admission to a health education graduate certificate program may include:
- Bachelor’s and master’s degree from an accredited university
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Professional letter of recommendation
- Resume or CV outlining relevant experience
- Statement of purpose or personal essay outlining the student’s goals
Some online health education graduate certificate programs allow students to develop much of their curriculum through elective selection, while others have a strict program with little room for personalization.
Courses included in the curriculum for an online health education graduate certificate may include:
- Behavioral/social aspects of public health
- Public health education methods
- Cultural context of health
- Program planning for health behavior change
- Psychosocial factors in health and illness
While many people with this certificate work for public health organizations, others work for private healthcare organizations, schools, and more. Earning a health education graduate certificate can prepare a professional to move on to a new position within their current organization, or can prepare them to take on a career within a new industry.
Career possibilities for professionals who earn a health education graduate certificate include:
- Community Health Educator: A community health educator may work with local public health directors, private organizations, non-profit organizations, and other organizations designed to promote public health. Professionals in this role may develop public health programs, implement programs, and evaluate the effectiveness of public health initiatives.
- School Health Educator: In many schools, health classes are a thing of the past due to budget cuts and time constraints. Still, students need education on health topics, including motivation and education on developing healthy habits. A school health educator may work closely with the school nurse to identify and address school-wide student health needs. In large school districts, a school health educator may work for the school district rather than for one school and may travel from school to school educating students on age-appropriate health topics.
- Employee Wellness Coordinator: An employee wellness coordinator typically works with the human resources department of an organization and works to help boost employee morale and performance by implementing wellness programs. Some companies utilize fitness trackers, on-site yoga classes, nutrition programs, inter-departmental challenges, and other initiatives to help motivate employees to improve their wellness. A wellness coordinator develops, coordinates, and evaluates the effectiveness of employee wellness programs.
|Arizona State Unkiversity||Phoenix, AZ||Health Education|
|Benedictine University||Lisle, IL||Health Education and Promotion|
|Western Kentucky University||Bowling Green, KY||Online - Health Education|
|A.T. Still University||Kirksville, MO||Online - Health Education|
|Adelphi University||Garden City, NY||Hybrid - Health Education|
|CUNY Lehman College||Bronx, NY||Hybrid - Health Education|
|Stony Brook University||Stony Brook, NY||Online - Health Education and Promotion|
|Union Institute & University||Cincinnati, OH||Online - Health Education|
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.