International & Comparative Education Graduate Certificate Programs
International & Comparative Education (ICE) is a unique set of skills for a range of teaching careers. Understanding international issues and comparing standards across countries helps improve education systems. In an increasingly globalized world, adaptation is vital.
International & Comparative Education Graduate Certificates are suitable for teaching leaders, politicians, and government employees to apply new techniques to the educational environment. Particularly, it looks at the cross-cultural environment to remain relevant.
U.S. schools offering international and comparative education graduate certificate programs will require that applicants meet all eligibility criteria. While this can vary by school, it often includes:
- A bachelor's degree in teaching, along with a master's degree in a teaching-related subject
- A minimum GPA (usually 3.0 to 3.5)
- Full transcripts from those degrees proving results and study areas
- If you do not speak English as a first language, the college will expect you to prove proficiency formally through one of many certifications. These include PTEA, IELTS, and TOEFL. If you have DuoLingo or ELS112, a limited number accept these standards
- Letters of recommendation – often 2-3 from academic or professional references
- Professional resume or CV
- The full, nonrefundable application fee
- A personal statement with further details about your application
- Some schools may ask for a multipage exam-style essay with an industry-related question
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online International & Comparative Education Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
An international and comparative education grad certificate program can often be completed in just 2 semesters, or one academic year of study. The curriculum typically includes coursework such as:
- Introduction to Global and Comparative Education
- Comparative Perspectives in Culture, Society, and Education
- International Education Organizations
- Leadership in International Education
- International Education Concepts and Theory
- Ethical Issues in International Education
- Education in Emergencies and Reconstruction
- Research Methods
- Literacy and International Development
- Language & Society
- Monitoring & Evaluation in Education Development
- Urban Schooling
- Comparative Education Systems
- Curriculum and Pedagogy for Education
- Human Rights and Education
- Project Research & Communication
- Human & Social Dimensions
- Gender, Education, and Development
- Sustainable Schooling
- Cultural Politics in Education
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online International & Comparative Education Graduate Certificate?
A graduate certificate in international and comparative education will open many exciting career doors. Popular pathways include:
- International Student Services Provider: Working in colleges and universities helping international students and those from other cultures access services and adjust to life in the U.S.
- Educational Program Provider: Administer and organize educational services for charities, government agencies, or foreign governments working in administration.
- International Education Associations: Working with educational organizations, you will help teachers abroad network and support each other while working in international education.
- Education Accreditation Agencies: International standards require accreditation to be accepted elsewhere. You could enter a career working for these independent organizations.
|Pepperdine University||Malibu, CA||International and Comparative Law|
|American University||Washington, DC||Comparative and Regional Studies|
|Georgia State University||Atlanta, GA||International Education|
|University of Kentucky||Lexington, KY||International Education|
|Boston College||Chestnut Hill, MA||Online - International Higher Education|
|Endicott College||Beverly, MA||Hybrid - International & Comparative Education|
|Kent State University at Kent||Kent, OH||Hybrid - International & Comparative Education|
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.