Math Education is an important area required for most STEM jobs. We teach children basic math from a young age, starting with arithmetic and working up as they get older. It is integral to many science, engineering, and other degrees.
A Math Education Graduate Certificate is ideal for enhancing your existing postgraduate degree to teach mathematics and all its subdisciplines. You can teach children and adult learners wishing to brush up on their mathematical skills.
What Are the Online Math Education Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Those interested in enrolling in a math education grad certificate program must ensure that they meet all admissions requirements. This will vary by school, but most programs ask that you meet the following:
- A bachelor's and a master's degree, both in teaching, education, or other related subjects
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 or above
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities previously attended
- Teaching experience, usually a minimum of two years working in a school
- If English is not your first language, you will be asked to provide proof of proficiency through TOEFL, IELTS, and PTEA. You may also find some educational establishments are happy to accept DuoLingo and ELS112
- Two or three recommendation letters
- Non-refundable application fee
- A short personal statement about your background and interest
- You may also be asked to complete an exam-style essay answering a question about mathematics education
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Math Education Graduate Certificate Classes & Curriculum?
Most students can complete their math education graduate certificate in several semesters (around one academic year). The curriculum will include core courses that often include:
- Constructing Mathematical Understanding for Number Theory
- Functions and Algebra
- Geometry and Measurement
- Statistics and Data Analysis
- Diversity in the Mathematics Classroom
- Mathematics Assessment
- Technology for Integrative Mathematics
- Learning and Teaching Mathematics
- Teaching the Base Ten Number System
- Measurement, Data, and Geometric Thinking
- Understanding Rational Numbers and Proportional Reasoning
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Math Education Graduate Certificate?
Those with a math education graduate degree can achieve rewarding careers in teaching and education. Popular careers include:
- K-12 Math Teacher: Mathematics is one of those subjects where education starts early. With a teaching certificate, you can work in schools from kindergarten through high school.
- College Lecturer: With a master's degree, you are qualified to teach in some community colleges. However, some colleges will expect you to have a Ph.D. and a teaching certificate.
- Private Math Tutor: Helping people of any age improve their math skills, you can work on a one-on-one basis educating children or adults struggling with basic mathematics.
- Math Program Manager: If teaching is not your thing, you can work on school boards designing mathematics teaching programs, examinations, and ordering tools and teaching resources.
- Government Education Department: Helping decision-makers at the local or state level, you will advise elected government officials in the process of deciding policy for education and overseeing school regulations.
- Education Materials Sales: Selling to schools and education retailers, your knowledge of teaching mathematics will help you sell the benefits of things like learning tools, courses, and training materials.
Math Education Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a math education graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs