Earning an online graduate certificate in special education prepares you to support K-12 students with special needs. The certificate program will prepare you to identify, understand, and assess students with different classroom challenges. You’ll also learn how to support and work with students’ strengths. A graduate certificate in special education helps you develop skills and strategies to implement behavioral intervention and IEP plans. You’ll also learn how to collaborate with various stakeholders to develop students to their full potential.
What Are the Online Special Education Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Admission requirements for online graduate certificate programs are often specific to the college or university. However, the majority of schools will list the requirements on a web page that describes the program. You can expect to need to submit proof of your teacher’s certificate, degrees, standardized test scores, and a resume or CV with details of your teaching experience. Here’s a list of common requirements:
- Applicant fee
- Proof of a completed bachelor’s/master’s degree
- Valid U.S. teaching certificate
- Current resume or CV
- Letters of recommendation from colleagues in special education
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Special Education Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
An online special education graduate certificate typically consists of 12 to 15 credits. Some universities offer areas of emphasis or specialties, such as intellectual disabilities or emotional behavior disorders. Depending on the program, you may take a set of core classes and individual electives. Core courses can include:
- IEP and Transition Processes
- Applied Behavior Analysis
- Diagnosis and Assessment of Reading Difficulties
- Special Education Curriculum
- Adapting Instruction with Evidence-Based Strategies
- Assistive Technology
- Identification and Assessment of Special Needs Children
Examples of elective courses can include the following:
- Ethical and Professional Conduct for Behavior Analysts
- Advanced Methods for Emotional Behavioral Disorders
- Introduction to Early Childhood Special Education
- Advanced Methods for Learning Disabilities
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Special Education Graduate Certificate?
Those who earn a graduate certificate in special education tend to work as teachers in K-12 schools. Special education teachers can work with elementary, middle, or high school students. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the majority of special education teachers work in public school systems. They may specialize in teaching students with certain impairments, such as autistic children. Others may work with students who have a wider range of physical, mental, emotional, and learning disabilities. Other career paths may include:
- Private Tutor: These professionals work with special needs students on a one-on-one basis providing private tutoring either outside of the public school system or through an agency.
- Early Intervention Specialist: While a social worker will help with everyday educational needs, an Early Intervention Specialist provides support on social issues and teaches children techniques to aid independence. They can work in daycare centers and hospitals as well.
- Advocate: You will work with parents and schools to develop learning programs. Advocates may also work with parents outside of the school system to access special services.
Special Education Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a special education graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|Wilmington University||New Castle, DE||Special Education: Early Childhood Exceptional Children|
|University of Kansas||Lawrence, KS||Online - Leadership in Special and Inclusive Education|
|Adelphi University||Garden City, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|CUNY Hunter College||New York, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|Hofstra University||Hempstead, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|Long Island University||Brookville, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|Manhattan College||Riverdale, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|Manhattanville College||Purchase, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|Medaille College||Buffalo, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|Pace University||New York, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|Saint John Fisher College||Rochester, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|St. Thomas Aquinas College||Sparkill, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|SUNY at Albany||Albany, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|SUNY at Fredonia||Fredonia, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|SUNY College at Brockport||Brockport, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|SUNY College at Potsdam||Potsdam, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|The College of Saint Rose||Albany, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
|University of Rochester||Rochester, NY||Hybrid - Special Education|
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs