When adding first, second, and third languages, English is the world's most widely spoken language. It is the language of international commerce and is the choice for many in the developing world. Many countries teach English from a young age, but this is not always the case.
An English Language Teaching Graduate Certificate is the perfect addition to your highly-developed command of the language to teach children and adults who need English language skills. This can be aimed at immigrants to the United States, or at teaching English as a foreign language abroad.
What Are the Online English Language Teaching Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Schools that offer English Language Teaching graduate certificates expect applicants to demonstrate full eligibility. While admissions requirments vary by school, most will ask that you fulfill the following:
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant subject, such as English language
- A master's degree also in a relevant subject
- A GPA of 3.0 or above. Some schools may ask for 3.5. A GRE may be requested if your GPA is less than 3.0
- Supporting transcripts from all colleges attended
- If you do not speak English as a first language, admissions will require that you take formal certification in a recognized standard such as PTEA, IELTS, and TOEFL. Some accept ELS112 and DuoLingo
- Bilingual proficiency often required
- Letters of recommendation (2 or 3) from academic sources. Employer references may be accepted in some circumstances
- Resume or CV
- Application fee
- A statement of intent or short essay explaining your interests
What Type of Classes Are Included in the English Language Teaching Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
English Language Teaching graduate certificate programs are comprised of mandatory core courses that can often be completed in just a few semesters (around one year). The curriculum often includes courses such as:
- Introduction to Teaching English as a Second Language
- Second Language Instructional Approaches
- Computer Assisted Learning
- Listening and Speaking in a Second Language
- Second Language Reading & Writing Skills
- Adult Literacy in Minority Communities
- English Grammar & Linguistics
- Teaching Methods
- Curriculum Development & Assessment Methods
- Cultural Dimensions of English as a Second Language
- Research Methods in Language Teaching
- Literacy & Culture
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online English Language Teaching Graduate Certificate?
A graduate certificate in English Language Teaching opens the following career options:
- ESL Teacher: The most obvious choice and the main reason most people study this subject, teaching “English as a Second Language” (ESL) to non-native speakers here in the U.S. (both adults and children).
- Private English Tutor: Travel the world and work as you go offering private tutoring sessions to students and adults looking to expand their language skills.
- Linguistic Research: Language requires as much research and investigation as any other academic discipline. Etymology and lexicography are both useful when you speak multiple languages.
- TEFL Academic: Alternatively, work to study, develop, and implement methods of “teaching English as a Foreign Language” (TEFL) for those in countries where English is not the main language. Break down barriers to teaching and learning the language.
- Translator: If you are fluent in multiple languages, you could work as a translator in a wide range of industries such as diplomatic services, publishing, and others.
- Program Director: Develop curricula and oversee logistics issues for learning programs specifically for teaching the English language to non-native speakers.
English Language Teaching Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in an english language teaching graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|University of Arizona||Tucson, AZ||Online - Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language |
|Post University||Waterbury, CT||Online - Teaching English Language Learners|
|University of Georgia||Athens, GA||Online - Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages|
|DePaul University||Chicago, IL||Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages|
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs