Computer Information Systems (also known simply as CIS or Information Systems) is the research and examination of computing systems for practical use in the intended enterprise. It differs from Information Technology, which is more about how technology works and how to use it.
An online Computer Information Systems Technology Graduate Certificate is the ideal qualification for those who want a hands-on, problem-solving approach to systems implementation. CIS blends key elements of business and technology together to serve various organizations.
What Are the Online Computer Information Systems Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Schools offering access to Computer Information Systems Graduate Certificates expect certain criteria which differs by college. Common CIS requirements include:
- A relevant bachelor's degree in business, technology, or IT
- A relevant master's degree in any of the above subjects. MBAs are also acceptable as this is closely related to business
- Minimum 3.0 GPA. However, some more prestigious schools will ask for a higher grade, potentially up to a 3.5
- Full official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- If you finished your degrees less recently, some colleges may accept 2 years' minimum of work experience
- Students for whom English is not a first language and who come from a country where the English is not an official language, you will be expected to prove language skills. TOEFL, PTEA, and IELTS are among the list of accepted certifications. Some accept ELS 112
- Letters of recommendation: sometimes 2, but often 3. For applicants with work experience and no recent academic experience, employer references are acceptable
- Resume or CV outlining relevant professional experience
- Application fee
- A written personal statement or essay
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Computer Information Systems Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Both mandatory and elective courses make up CIS Graduate Certificates so that you may develop your interests and skills. Typical course titles include:
- Human-Computer Interaction (UI/UX)
- Database Management & Data Warehousing
- Web App Development
- Mobile App Development
- IT Project Management
- Computer Networking
- MIT 565 Internetworking
- Computer Security & Risk Management
- Cloud Computing
- Business Information Systems
- Introduction to Hardware and Software
- Advanced Programing
- System Analysis and Design
- Management Information Systems
- Business Communication and Security
- Information Systems Consulting
- Information Systems Audit
- Enterprise Resource Planning
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online Computer Information Systems Graduate Certificate?
There are many career options for graduates with a Computer Information Systems Graduate Certificate. With a CIS certificate in hand, you may wish to pursue the following career pathways:
- Application Analyst: Here, you will support and maintain an organization's applications. You will have programming and administration responsibilities and use problem-solving skills.
- Cyber Security Analyst: Use your knowledge of computer systems to determine the correct systems and tools to protect a system and the data it holds.
- Database Administrator: You will use specialized software for data organization and sorting, indexing, and report production. You are responsible for most elements of controlling the database.
- Information Systems Manager: Heading up a department of IT professionals, you will be responsible for setting up computer systems and networks.
- IT Consultant: You canwork as independent advisor on the right systems, software, or other IT elements for businesses.
- Penetration Tester: Also known as an "ethical hacker", penetration testers work for companies or as independent consultants to test the robustness of a computer network. This career path usually requires a separate license.
- UX Researcher: If you are a people-person but still love technology, you could work researching the "user experience" and collecting data on how to make improvements.
Computer Information Systems Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a computer information systems graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|Howard University||Washington, DC||Hybrid - Computer Information Systems|
|Parker University||Dallas, TX||Online - Computer Information Technology|
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs