Cyber Security is an important area of IT still in a major growth phase. It is required for government agencies, private businesses, and charities, especially where data protection laws are required. Any organization operating through the internet will need system, database, or data protection.
IT graduates who wish to specialize in protecting this kind of protection should consider an online Cyber Security Graduate Certificate. It will help to develop niche skills so you can work in almost any industry, for any organization.
What Are the Online Cyber Security Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Prospective students interested in an online cyber security grad certificate program should ensure that they meet or exceed all entrance requirements. Specific requirements are based on the school chosen, but most include the following:
- A relevant bachelor's degree in a subject such as Information Science or Information Technology
- A relevant IS/IT master's degree
- In lieu of a master's, some programs may accept 2 years' experience working in the field
- Students with alternative but relevant bachelor's degrees may have their application accepted as long as the student took relevant minors
- Most schools ask for a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Students for whom English is not a first language must provide evidence of English communication proficiency. Relevant standards include TOEFL, PTEA, IELTS. Some accept alternatives such as ELS 112
- Letters of recommendation, typically 2-3 from professional or academic sources
- The application fee
- Professional resume or CV
- Personal statement/essay to support the application, explaining interests and career goals
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Cyber Security Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Most students can complete an online cyber security graduate certificate in a year or less. The curriculum is made up of several mandatory courses – course topics and titles may include:
- Foundations of Cyber Security
- Communication and Problem Solving
- Leadership for Cyber Security
- Cyber Attack Methodology
- IT Fundamentals
- Networking Fundamentals
- Systems Security & Information Assurance
- Hacker Techniques and Protection
- Cyber Forensic Science
- Information Technology and Law
- Capstone Project
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online Cyber Security Graduate Certificate?
Cyber security is for IT professionals considering a specific niche of the industry, but there are many career choices available to those who hold a cyber security grad certificate. These may include:
- Computing Forensics: You will work for government agencies and police departments recovering data from locked or damaged computers that may hold evidence of a crime.
- Counterterrorism: IT and associated skills are required in modern national security protection. The CIA, NSA, and state crime agencies all need these skills for domestic and global terrorism.
- IT Security Consultant: You could work as an independent advisor or contractor, helping enterprises improve their cyber security, reduce instances of cyberattacks, and advise them on security protocols.
- Security Architect: Design and implement security hardware and software systems; oversee all technical work.
- Cryptographer: Working on the front lines for organizations, cryptographers are responsible for devising the systems and processes for keeping data safe from hackers.
- CISO: The Chief Information Security Officer is responsible for all security measures at the enterprise level. You will delegate tasks and produce reports for other directors.
- Ethical Hacker: This is usually a licensed person contracted to find flaws in systems and highlight them. They do everything a hacker does but bring anything of concern to the business so they can tighten security.
Cyber Security Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a cyber security graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs