An online graduate certificate in Biotechnology can prepare you to enter and advance into exciting fields at the crossroads of technology and biological sciences. Students seeking to enter the biotechnology field may benefit from learning the scientific principles and foundational skills necessary to gain employment. Current professionals can benefit from the knowledge and techniques gained from cutting-edge updates in the field. In either case, this supplement to existing degree programs can provide the added benefit necessary to enhance professional success.
Students completing this graduate certificate program will gain a basic understanding of the principles, tools, and techniques necessary to create, manufacture, and apply biological technologies. This understanding includes practical experience within the laboratory environment, including the tools utilized in experimentation, testing, and production. Students with an interest in biopharmaceutical fields will also learn to apply new technologies related to creating and manufacturing drugs. The combined practical and academic approaches behind the program create an experience perfect for professionals in research or practical fields.
What Are the Online Biotechnology Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Like most professional certificates, the Graduate Certificate in Biotechnology is designed for students with existing undergraduate and post-graduate degrees in similar fields. Some field experience may be required for certain programs that expect competence in specific principles or techniques. Programs may also have differing requisite knowledge requirements depending on the focus area and intended career path. Typical requirements include:
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees and/or professional technical experience
- Requisite knowledge may include science courses such as biology, engineering, or organic chemistry
- Minimum GPA, typically 3.0 or above
- Completion of core courses in biotechnology and pharmaceuticals and additional elective courses in important career skills
- Courses must be finished within a certain time period, typically 1 to 3 years
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Biotechnology Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Below are some examples of typical classes required as part of the grad certificate in Biotechnology. Please note, most programs offer some variety in program focus through elective classes. All programs include a few required core classes that are typically taken first. Example courses include:
- Biochemistry: An Introduction: The class provides background on fundamental principles of the biotechnology industry, including molecular processes common to living creatures. Topics covered include proteins, nucleic acids, enzymes, and other biomolecules.
- Principles of Drug Discovery and Development: This session covers the complicated process necessary to discover, create, test, and evaluate synthetic and biological molecules used as drugs. The course includes the FDA’s review processes.
- Protein Biotechnology: This course covers the various structures and functions within proteins. It can include protein production, enzymology, and diagnostic or therapeutic applications.
- Basic Immunology: Provides an overview of the processes and interactions of the immune system. Topics may include interactions between antigen and antibody, and signal transduction.
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Biotechnology Graduate Certificate?
Professionals from a variety of backgrounds may find that the online grad certificate enhances career prospects and fundamental understanding. Some examples of the kind of careers possible include:
Laboratory Technician: Creating, testing, or applying diagnostic or therapeutic drugs, vaccines, or antibodies.
Engineer, Biochemist, Biologist: Or related career using biochemical processes as part of their daily work.
Attorneys, Entrepreneurs: As well as other professionals exploring career opportunities in fields supporting biotechnology.
Biotechnology Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a biotechnology graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs