Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is a great career option for those interested in a niche area weaving together psychology, behavior, and education. With it, you can work in schools or private organizations helping children with educational/developmental issues or special behavioral needs. While this certificate is typically geared toward those who wish to work with autistic children and their families, they are not the only population that ABA grads can help. You may also work with adults in a range of areas.
To work in this field, you’ll need an Applied Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate if you’ve already completed a master’s degree in a relevant subject, such as education or psychology.
What Are the Online Applied Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Schools that offer online Applied Behavior Analysis graduate certificate programs will have prerequisites that you must fulfill before admission is granted. Some vary, but you will usually find the folllowing minimum requirements:
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline, such as special education or psychology, from an accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- A master's degree in a relevant subject (minimum GPA may also be required)
- Submit transcripts proving the above
- International students from non-English speaking countries must submit IELTS, PTEA, or the TOEFL scores. Alternatively, some accept evidence of ELS 112
- Letters of recommendation
- Application fee is usually required (varies by school)
- Resume and personal statement
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Applied Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
A typical online ABA Graduate Certificate program will normally cover topics such as these from Arizona State University’s Applied Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate:
- Introduction to Applied Behavior Analysis
- Principles and applications of Applied Behavior Analysis
- Philosophy of Applied Behavior Analysis in education
- Ethics of Applied Behavior Analysis
- Advanced Applied Behavior Analysis
- Data Analytics and Interpretation
- Experiment and Project Design
- Professional Issues of Applied Behavior Analysis
- Research Methods for Applied Behavior Analysis
- People Management and Human Resources
- Behavior Change Implementation & Analysis
- Organizational Behavior Management for Education
- Individual research project, such as a dissertation
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Applied Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate?
Here are some of the exciting career options you can expect to be open to you when you finish your graduate certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis (please note that some niche career pathways may require additional training and/or certification):
- Board-Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA): This is the most common job role for those who graduate with a degree or certificate in ABA and allows for careers working with autistic patients, businesses, schools, and more. BCBAs must also fulfill supervised practice hours and pass the BCBA examination once they complete their certificate program.
- Special Education Teacher: Ideally suited to teachers wishing to specialize in helping autistic children, in specialty units, or as private tutors. Such graduate certificates are also useful for working with children with behavioral issues.
- Registered Behavioral Technician (RBT): This is a private therapist who devises behavior analytic services as treatment. You will need to earn a professional certification requiring 40 hours of approved training. Many students become RBTs and then progress to the BCBA.
- Counselor: Although you might not be required to hold ABA certification, it will certainly put you in a good position to work in many areas of counseling. Addiction therapy, marriage and family counseling, and psychotherapy are all good career choices but may require additional specialized certifications.
Applied Behavior Analysis Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in an applied behavior analysis graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs