Applied psychology is the use and application of psychological concepts and treatments. Contrary to popular belief, it is not just about the treatment of mental health – it also has a number of non-medical uses, too. Many applied psychologists work in politics, marketing, and other non-clinical areas.
An online Applied Psychology Graduate Certificate is an ideal way to take your psychology degree in a new, focused direction or convert it for practical use in the real world.
What Are the Online Applied Psychology Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Prior to enrolling in an online applied psychology graduate certificate program (sometimes referred to as a post-master’s or post-graduate ceritificate program), students must ensure that they meet all the elgibility requirements. While these will naturally differ between schools, most educational institutions offering this type of program will require the following admissions requirements:
- A bachelor's and master's degree relevant to Applied Psychology – typically in the psychology area though some others may be acceptable
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 or above
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- For applicants who do not speak English as a first language, you may be required to prove formal proficiency. This means certification in any number of standards such as TOEFL, IELTS, or PTEA. Some schools accept ELS 112 and DuoLingo
- 2-3 letters of recommendation are expected. Academic references are preferred, though if it has been some time since your last degree program, employer references will work
- The application fee (varies by school)
- Professional resume or CV
- A personal goal statement detailing your intention for the program
- Some schools may also ask for a separate essay exam, which will ask a specific question about the industry to determine your knowledge
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Applied Psychology Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Students can often complete an online applied psychology graduate certificate in just several semesters (either on a full-time or part-time basis). The curriculum covers a variety of psychology topics, and required course titles may include:
- Cognitive Engineering
- Research Methods in Human Factors
- Advanced Topics in Cognitive Science
- Introduction to Air Traffic Control
- Judgment and Choice Processing and Decision Making
- Naturalistic Methods in Psychology
- Human Factors and Applied Cognition
- Instructional Design
- Human Computer Interface Design for Teaching and Learning
- Introduction to Positive Psychology
- Human Flourishing: Strengths and Resilience
- Positive Psychology at Work
- Flourishing with Others: Building Thriving Relationships
- The Scientific Method in Positive Psychology
- Morality and the Good Life
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online Applied Psychology Graduate Certificate?
A focused grad certificate in applied psychology allows students to thrive in niche career pathways. Some popular career choices open to you after completing your graduate certificate may include:
- Assessment Development Specialist: A type of business psychologist, you would work in human resources designing ways to cultivate working relationships and career development.
- Behavior Intervention Specialist: These professionals work with clients to come up with behavior support plans. These include schools, health facilities, and family facilities. Typically, they work with social workers and school psychologists.
- Business Psychologist: This encompasses a range of tasks which include monitoring employee stress, getting the best out of employees, helping them feel valued, and dealing with psychological issues.
- Clinical Psychologist: Working directly with patients with emotional, psychological, relationship, and other problems.
- Marketing Professional: There are a range of careers here. It is important to remember that sales, marketing, outreach, and relationship building are all about applied psychology.
- School Psychologist: Assessing students for a range of issues, helping with both academic and personal problems that affect schooling.
Applied Psychology Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in an applied psychology graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs