Global Studies involves the examination of political, economic, and legal elements of countries around the planet and how they interact. As the world shifts to regional and global trade, with more focus than ever on interconnectedness, global studies is an emerging social discipline.
Global Studies Graduate Certificates are for students who wish to explore this area of sociology, gaining global knowledge for trade, politics, ecology/conservation, law enforcement, and cultural studies.
What Are the Online Global Studies Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Schools in the U.S. that provide online global studies graduate certificates expect students to meet all admissions requirements. While specific requirements vary by school, common entrance requirements include:
- A bachelor's degree
- A master's degree in a relevant subject such as political science, sociology, international law, or anthropology
- Minimum GPA can vary, usually 2.5 or above
- Official transcripts of all academic qualifications
- For students from non-English speaking countries, there is a requirement to prove English proficiency. Relevant certifications include TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE. Some colleges accept ELS112. DuoLingo may also be acceptable to some admissions
- Letters of recommendation: two is standard, though three are sometimes required. Students without recent academic experience will be asked to submit a resume and employer references
- The application fee
- A personal statement or essay explaining your background, interests, and highlighting what you expect to get out of the program
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Global Studies Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Online global studies graduate certificate programs can often be completed in a year or so. The curriculum includes courses in varied topics, often including:
- Globalization: Global Politics & Economics
- Global Literacy, Culture, and Community
- Global Peace and Conflict
- Regional Studies
- Human Intercultural Relations: Global Education
- Foreign Policy
- Global Health Issues
- Global Negotiation
- International Economics, Trade, & Finance
- International Law
- International Organizations
- International Security
- Historical Trends in International Affairs
- Global Political Agencies and NGOs
- Emerging Issues between Global North-South Political Issues
- Diplomacy and International Organizations
- Capstone Project
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online Global Studies Graduate Certificate?
With an online global studies grad certificate, you can enter several wide-ranging career pathways. Some options include:
- Business Consultant: Help businesses involved with international trade, advising on red tape and import/export issues, and even on marketing requirements.
- Human Rights Advocate: If you have a background in advocacy or some law, you could work for charities or government organizations advising on human rights issues.
- Nonprofit Director: Many charities work across borders, especially when working in the fields of health, aid & relief, conflict, and issues affecting refugees.
- Political Analyst: Working either for government departments, diplomatic service, charities, or media, political analysts examine developing situations and offer advice.
- Media Consultant: You could work as a journalist, media researcher, consultant, or for other on-the-ground agencies bringing international news to the world.
- Sustainability Consultant: Different countries have different requirements for sustainability. You will help organizations adhere to each nation's regulations.
- International Event Planner: Entertainment, corporate events, and anything that requires moving equipment and people between countries require someone with complex skills in cross-border organization.
Global Studies Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a global studies graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs