If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding online graduate certificate that can lead to a fulfilling career, then you might have thought about a Mathematics graduate certificate (sometimes referred to as a post-master’s certificate or post-graduate certificate). Learn more about the requirements, classes, and career opportunities that accompany a Mathematics grad certificate.
What Are the Online Mathematics Graduate Certificate Requirements?
There is a common assumption that people who are looking to pursue a Mathematics graduate certificate need to have majored in math during their undergraduate career. Even though most applicants have a bachelor's and master’s degree that focuses on math, plenty of people also pursue this certificate with an engineering background or a statistics background. Some programs do not have a firm process or list of requirements for the program. Some schools may require GRE schools, while others do not.
For most programs, some of the requirements include:
- Evidence of completed pre-requisite coursework, which may include a master's degree
- Transcripts with a strong GPA (some programs have a minimum GPA)
- Possible requirements surrounding GREs
- Letters of recommendation
It is important for anyone interested in this program to take a closer look at the requirements of the specific program, as they can vary from program to program. Students who meet these requirements should feel comfortable applying for a Mathematics graduate certificate program.
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Mathematics Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
The exact classes and curriculum of an online Mathematics graduate certificate are going to vary depending on the institution. Coursework may include:
- Multiple classes in modern algebra
- Probability and Statistics Modeling
- Linear Algebra and its Applications
- Applied Probability
- A Focus on Modern Geometry
- Math and Complex Analysis
In addition, students are going to have a number of electives they will take as well. For example, some students may decide to take classes that focus on applied math that can translate to engineering fields. Other students may decide to take classes focusing on partial differential equations. There are also classes and applied probability and statistics that students can complete at most certificate programs. Many certificates will provide students with a chance to concentrate in a certain area that might be more relevant to their career field.
Finally, for those who would like to teach after they finish a Post-Master’s Mathematics Certificate, they may want to find a program that has a concentration in teaching. This is important for anyone trying to earn a certificate that will strengthen their resume if they are looking for a position as a lecturer or professor.
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Mathematics Graduate Certificate?
Those who are able to complete an online Mathematics grad certificate will have multiple career opportunities available to them. Some of the most common career fields for those who major in math include:
- Insurance Actuary: Some people who major in math and complete a post-master’s certificate in Mathematics decide to become insurance actuaries
- Engineering: Other professionals who earn this certificate might decide to go into an engineering field
- Aviation/Aerospace: Lots of students who earn a grad certificate in Mathematics decide to pursue a career in aviation and aerospace
- Teaching/Education: Some graduates with a Mathematics graduate certificate will decide to pursue research or teaching as a professor
These are just a few of the many career paths that will be open to individuals who complete a Post-Master’s Mathematics Certificate. Because a Mathematics graduate certificate is one of the most versatile certificates, there are numerous career paths that could open up. Many students will work with advisers while they are working on their certificate to figure out exactly which direction they would like to go.
Mathematics Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a mathematics graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|Mathematics for Community College Teaching
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs