There is a saying that chemistry is the central science. Therefore, for those who are looking for a versatile graduate science pathway that is going to open multiple doors regarding career opportunities, it is critical to consider an online chemistry graduate certificate (sometimes referred to as a post-graduate or post-master’s certificate). Learn more about the requirements, classes, and career opportunities that follow a chemistry grad certificate.
What Are the Online Chemistry Graduate Certificate Requirements?
The exact requirements for admission to an online chemistry graduate certificate program are going to vary slightly from institution to institution; however, there are a few common themes that show up when it comes to admission requirements for this type of program. These include:
- Evidence of the completion of an advanced chemistry degree (master’s degree or higher) from an accredited institution
- Minimum GPA – often 3.0 or above
- Transcripts indicating that students have completed the required coursework in chemistry, biology, and physics
- Resume or CV highlighting relevant work experience
- The inclusion of possible professional references and essay answers
Even though a lot of students will major in chemistry during their prior educational years, this is not necessarily a requirement in order to apply for a chemistry graduate certificate program.
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Chemistry Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Once students get accepted to the program, they are going to have to complete a wide variety of classes covering multiple chemistry topics in order to earn the certificate. Importantly, the courses that students will take will vary slightly from school to school, as different certificates will focus on different concentrations. Even though the curriculum will vary slightly from program to program, some of the coursework may include:
- Courses covering responsible research and publishing in chemistry
- Advanced chromatography and chemical identification
- Advanced methods in analytical chemistry
- Organic reaction mechanisms
- Spectroscopic identification of specific organic compounds
- A focus on structural analysis
- Advanced electrochemical analysis
- Mass spectrometry
- The chemistry of natural products
- Advanced biochemistry, sometimes multiple semesters
- A focus on polymer science
- The Microscopy of Advanced Materials
These are just a few of the many examples of courses that students can take if they are interested in completing a graduate certificate in chemistry. Students who are able to successfully complete this challenging certificate will open multiple doors when it comes to career opportunities.
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Chemistry Graduate Certificate?
For those who decide to pursue an online post-master’s certificate in chemistry, there are multiple career opportunities that are going to be available. Some of the most common career opportunities that people pursue with a Post-Masters Chemistry Certificate include:
- Researcher: Some students decide to pursue a career in research where they work in a general chemistry lab, an inorganic chemistry lab, an organic chemistry lab, or a physical chemistry lab
- Teaching/Education: Other students might decide to use this certificate to strengthen their resume as they apply for a position as a lecturer or a professor
- Pharmaceutical Industry: Many students who graduate with a post-master’s certificate in chemistry will decide to go into industry and pursue pharmaceuticals, working in research and development for large companies
- Engineering: There are also doors open in the engineering world with this type of certificate
Chemistry Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a chemistry graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs