Data Science is a technological form of statistics and mathematics with applications in most sciences, from traditional STEM to newer fields like robotics and machine learning. It is primarily a method that uses IT, so it requires those skills alongside STEM skills.
As data scientists need both IT and science skills, it is a good idea for those with either background to earn a Data Science Graduate Certificate. This will bridge the gap between science and analytics for a great career path.
What Are the Online Data Science Graduate Certificate Requirements?
To be eligible for an online data science graduate certificate program, you must meet all entrance requirements. These can vary by school, but most include some combination of the following:
- A relevant bachelor's and master’s degree in Information Technology or Information Science
- Experience in SQL, MS Excel, and Python (varies by college)
- Those who did not study statistics in past academic work are strongly advised to do so as a prerequisite
- Postgres familiarity is preferable but not mandatory
- Some programs may accept 2-3 years' work experience
- A minimum GPA, typically 3.0 or higher
- Full supporting transcripts
- For students who come from a non-English speaking majority country, certification proving English proficiency is mandatory. Relevant certifications are IELTS, TOEFL, and PTEA. ELS 112 may be acceptable in some applications
- 2-3 letters of recommendation from academic IT sources
- Application fee (usually around $50)
- A personal statement detailing reasons for application and career expectations
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Data Science Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Online data science grad certificates are comprised of mandatory and elective courses which can usually be completed over a few semesters of study. The curriculum typically includes the following coursework, though specific course titles will be at the discretion of the school:
- Introduction to Data Science
- Advanced Statistics
- Mathematical Modelling
- Stochastic Methods for Data Science
- Big Data and IoT
- Cyber Security
- Data Visualization
- Python for Data Science
- Big Data Analytics
- Data Science & Statistical Learning
- Databases and Database Storage
- Introduction to AI
- Advanced Machine Learning
- Functional & Stream Learning
- Deep Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Systems Development
- Wearable Technology
- Robotics & Automated Systems
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online Data Science Graduate Certificate?
Data science is for IT professionals looking to move to a career in STEM data collection and analytics. With a graduate certificate in data science, you may wish to pursue the following career pathways:
- Data Scientist: The most obvious choice, a Data Scientist works with accumulated data for scientific research. You will create databases as well as organize, structure, and produce visualizations.
- Data Engineer: A Data Engineer manages the data infrastructure for a company or research institute.
- Data Architect: Alternatively, you could design and implement the software systems within the hardware architecture that holds and sorts the data.
- Business Intelligence Officer: The director in charge of strategic data science decisions – hardware, software, and research – will need a background in these subjects even if not directly involved in day-to-day activity.
- Statistical Scientist: Data science and statistics are similar and can be used interchangeably. You collect, interpret, and present data using IT systems, and perform other tasks similar to a traditional statistician.
Data Science Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a data science graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs