Computer Engineering is the design and building of computing systems and other hardware (parts such as components and peripherals), using science and technology in theory and application. Engineers are needed from conception through the building phase.
An online Computer Engineering Graduate Certificate is the perfect addition to your electrical engineering or other master's degree, helping you take your career into designing computing systems in an age where robotics, AI, and machine learning increasingly need such professionals.
What Are the Online Computer Engineering Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Schools offering online computer engineering graduate certificate programs require prospective students to meet eligibility criteria. This will vary based on school, but common admissions requirements include:
- A relevant STEM bachelor's degree
- A relevant engineering master's degree – electrical or any other relevant program
- 3.0 (or higher) minimum GPA
- Degrees must be ABET-accredited
- International students may be asked to prove English proficiency when originating from a non-English speaking country. IELTS, TOEFL, and PTEA are accepted standards. Others might accept ELS 112
- Two or three letters of recommendation; employer references are accepted for students who have been in the workforce for some time
- The application fee
- Personal statement with details of career expectations and why you wish to enter the program
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Computer Engineering Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Online computer engineering graduate certificate programs are usually taken over just a few semesters, with part-time and full-time options available. The curriculum is made up of mandatory and elective classes. They typically cover the following subjects:
- Adaptive Signal Processing
- Data Communications
- Digital Communications
- Computing Architecture
- Software Systems
- Systems Performance Evaluation
- Operating Systems
- Theoretical Computer Science
- Advanced Computer Systems
- Software Development
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online Computer Engineering Graduate Certificate?
An online graduate certificate in computer engineering will allow you to enter niche careers. Some popular choices include:
- Big Data Systems Engineering: This relatively new area of data acquisition and management requires engineers to design and implement the systems and infrastructure.
- Software Developer: Take your engineering into software, designing and implementing software systems for use on all types of hardware.
- Blockchain Developer: Similar to a software developer, but specializing in the emerging blockchain technology for cryptocurrencies.
- Network Architect: You are responsible for designing networks and their specifications and parameters, including LAN, WAN, and cloud.
- Systems Analyst: One of the most popular career destinations, a systems analyst examines systems for improvements, and designs and implements upgrades for better productivity.
- Database Administrator: You will have control over everyday applications of a system's database, including governance, indexing, security, and upgrades.
- Information Security Analyst: Whether working for an enterprise or as an independent advisor, you will examine systems for security problems and analyze common security issues.
- Information Systems Manager: Management is a great career destination for professionals who like to oversee teams responsible for information systems and data.
Computer Engineering Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a computer engineering graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs