Telecommunications technology involves traditional methods like telephony, but also internet connectivity, mobile internet (4G, 5G), and both wired & wireless networks. This is an integral technology for most personal and business applications.
Technical graduates considering a career in this area should consider a Telecommunications Technology Graduate Certificate (also known as Telecommunications & Networking). It provides access to a range of technology jobs.
What Are the Online Telecommunications Technology Graduate Certificate Requirements?
You must fulfill all admissions requirements to be admitted to a telecommunications technology graduate certificate program. Requirements vary by school, but common criteria include:
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant technical subject such as electronics engineering, information technology, or information science
- A master's degree in a related subject
- Minimum GPA requirements, ranging from 2.5 up to 3.5
- Transcripts of all academic qualifications
- If you are from a country where English is not a majority language, you will be asked to provide evidence of English proficiency certification. TOEFL, IELTS, and PTEA are the most common though some colleges may accept alternate standards
- 2-3 letters of recommendation, depending on the school. If you have been out of academia for a while and have no such references, a resume and employer references may be accepted
- Application fee
- Essay or personal statement highlighting your interest and career desires
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Telecommunications Technology Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Many students complete their telecommunications technology graduate certificate program in around one year (2-3 semesters). The curriculum is comprised of core coursework, and occasionally a few electives. Common course titles include:
- Introduction to Digital Communications
- Advanced Digital Communications
- Digital Signal Processing
- Communication Circuits
- Software Defined Radio
- Advanced Communication Theory
- TCP/IP & Routing
- Computer Networking
- Internet Programming
- Network Security Issues
- Networks and Network Communications
- Broadband Wireless Networks
- Next Generation Wireless Networks and Services
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online Telecommunications Technology Graduate Certificate?
A graduate certificate in telecommunications technology opens many career doors, often including the following:
- Chief Technology Officer: This executive-level role is responsible for all technology decisions for an enterprise. Your skills will be useful in strategic decision-making and implementation.
- Telecommunications Engineer: Design and develop new devices and systems of communication, both hardware and software, for use in a wide range of telecom applications.
- Telecommunications Research: Work in universities or in private research labs investigating and testing new advances in communications technology.
- IT Manager: An IT Manager is responsible for procurement, day-to-day administration, hiring, and overseeing teams of IT professionals within an enterprise.
- Telecommunications Consultant: Work as an independent consultant offering professional advice and sometimes installation services to businesses.
- Software Engineer: Designing and developing software for telecommunications systems, a software engineer looks at needs and designs systems on user requirements.
- Network Manager: Administer and manage the application of a system and the people responsible for maintaining it.
Telecommunications Technology Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a telecommunications technology graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|Columbia University||New York, NY||Online - Electrical Engineering - Telecommunications|
|Pace University||New York, NY||Online - Telecommunications Systems and Networks|
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs