Bioinformatics is the application of biology and information technology. Professionals who work in this field design software, databases, and other technological tools to understand biological information.
An online Bioinformatics Graduate Certificate is the ideal addition to your biological and information technology education. It can help you enter career areas otherwise closed to you such as genome mapping and pandemic monitoring.
What Are the Online Bioinformatics Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Schools in the U.S. that offer online Bioinformatics Graduate Certificates expect applicants to adhere to a list of entry requirements. While these will vary slightly from school to school, the following is generally required:
- A bachelor's and master’s degree in a relevant STEM subject, biology preferred, but engineering, chemistry and physics are also acceptable
- Information Technology minors and electives in any of those degrees
- Minimum GPA varies. Some programs ask for a minimum 2.5 while require up to 3.5
- Submission of all official transcripts
- Students from a country where English is not a major language must prove their English language proficiency through relevant certifications such as TOEFL, IELTS, and PTEA. Some colleges may accept ELS 112
- Letters of recommendation: typically, 2 or 3. For applicants entering from the workplace with no recent academic experience, employer references are acceptable
- Application fee
- A personal essay explaining your interest and career desires
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Bioinformatics Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Online Bioinformatics Graduate Certificate programs are comprised of both mandatory and optional classes. Common courses include:
- Introduction to Molecular Biology
- Introduction to Informatics
- Computer Programming for Biology
- Algorithm Design & Analysis
- Introduction to Genomics & Bioinformatics
- Biostatistical Methods
- Biostatistics in Bioinformatics
- Fundamentals of Genetics
- Bioinformatics Techniques
- Computational Genomics
- Computational Biochemistry
- Programming with C++
- Programming with Java
- Database Systems
- Artificial Intelligence
- Optimization Techniques
- Probability and Statistics
- Geographic Visualization
- Mathematical Modeling
- Principles of Genetics
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online Bioinformatics Graduate Certificate?
An online Graduate Certificate in Bioinformatics permits you to work in many roles. Your unique skills in IT and STEM puts you in a great place for careers such as:
- Data Scientist: Your skills will set you up well for a career in any type of data science, not just those related to biology and bioinformatics. Collect, examine, make sense of data, and present it.
- Database Administrator: This involves entering data into a database to control and maintain the information within it. You may also have governance and indexing responsibilities, helping research scientists maintain their data.
- Data Modeling: Modeling is a specific skill that uses collected data to make predictions about future trends. It's useful for planning pandemics, climate data, and any other science that uses statistics.
- Software Developer: As most bioinformatics require coding skills and software management, this is a great alternative career. Develop software for research, industry, and other specialist systems.
- Biostatistician: This differs from regular mathematics and statistics in that you will use your biology background to look at biological data – genome research, illness monitoring, pollution, and others.
Bioinformatics Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a bioinformatics graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs