If you are looking for a rewarding career path in the health and wellness industry where you can spend your time helping other people, then you may have heard about an online graduate certificate in nutrition, designed to enhance the careers of those who already hold a bachelor’s and master’s degree. Learn more about some of the requirements that you may have to accomplish in order to get accepted to this program.
What Are the Online Nutrition Certificate Certification Requirements?
Before you can get accepted to a program that provides you with an online nutrition graduate certificate (sometimes referred to as a post-master’s certificate), there are a handful of requirements that you have to meet. Some of the example classes that qualify as prerequisites for a nutrition grad certificate program include:
- Applicants must have earned a master’s degree in the field from an accredited university
- There is usually a minimum GPA requirement for admission, with some programs setting it at 2.5
- A strong resume with accompanying transcripts from the university
- Copies of any licenses or certificates in the healthcare field
- Some programs require an essay to be written as a pre-requisite for admission
Depending on the program, there might be opportunities to test out of a few pre-requisites by demonstrating proficiency in a specific field. For example, the online Post-Masters Nutrition Certificate at the Maryland University of Integrative Health allows students to test out of certain biology, chemistry, and physiology classes.
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Nutrition Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Online graduate certificates in nutrition will vary in their length; however, they usually fall somewhere between 15 and 30 units. The curriculum is designed to provide students with advanced training in foods and nutrition. Even though some schools may allow certain courses to be taken pass-fail, there is usually a limit to the number of classes they can take in this manner. Furthermore, not all classes are going to be offered every semester. It might be a good idea for students to work with a trained advisor to make sure they are able to complete all of their requirements on time.
It can be helpful to take a look at a sample curriculum, such as the following from Liberty University:
- The main principles of nutrition
- Classes focusing on the prevention of food-borne illnesses
- Courses focusing on the relationship between nutrition and chronic disease
- Classes focusing on the relationship between nutrition and public health
- Courses focusing on the relationship between nutrition and athletics
- Nutrition for the treatment of eating disorders
Most grad certificate programs will also ask students to take a few electives as well. This provides students with the opportunity to tailor their education to meet their needs.
Furthermore, these classes could change slightly from program to program. For example, some certificates might focus on clinical nutrition while other classes might focus on nutrition and public health. All of these classes are important for providing students with access to a well-rounded post-master’s nutrition certificate program.
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Nutrition Graduate Certificate?
For those who graduate with a nutrition certificate, there are multiple career opportunities available. A few of the most prominent examples include:
- Dietician: Many people who graduate with an online nutrition grad certificate decide to pursue a career as a dietitian, helping people improve their overall health through their food intake
- Pediatric Nutritionist: Some individuals decide to specialize in child or adolescent nutrition, helping children who have congenital disabilities or those who are overweight
- Sports Nutritionist: Lots of people with a post-master’s nutrition certificate will specialize in sports, helping athletes achieve their goals
- Weight Loss Specialist: A popular career opportunity for those with a graduate certificate in nutrition is to serve as a weight loss consultant, helping people reach their ideal BMI
- Clinical Dietician: Some individuals who earn their graduate certificate decide to take a job with a hospital, helping patients recover following an injury or illness
Nutrition Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a nutrition graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs