Health services administration graduate certificates (also known as post-graduate or post-master's certificates) can help students transition their careers. This certificate program gives successful graduates expanded credentials in the growing health care industry, even if their undergraduate or master's degrees were not in this field. The online health services admin graduate certificate gives participants advanced training in the organizational, financial, and operational aspects of health care. Students receive a broad overview of the U.S. health care system and delve into legal and policy matters. A graduate certificate focuses more intensely on operational issues than a post-baccalaureate certificate. Other topics might cover ethical considerations, HR and information systems. Qualified candidates don’t necessarily come from the healthcare field. Many applicants apply with backgrounds in marketing, human resources, accounting or finance, nursing, and business administration.
What Are the Online Health Services Administration Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Admission requirements vary by program. For example, Johns Hopkins School of Nursing uses the same standards as their MSN program.
Students should look closely at the requirements before applying to their top online program choices. Typical admissions requirements might include the following:
- A completed application to the program
- A master's degree
- Good scores on standardized tests such as the GRE or GMAT
- Work experience
- GPA better than 2.75 (test scores more important with a low GPA)
- A resume or CV
- A statement of purpose (essay)
- Letters of recommendation
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Health Services Administration Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
When studying for an online health services administration post-master's certificate, students can choose programs with a variety of concentrations. For example, Seton Hall University has an executive health care administration certificate. This program is geared toward nurses who already have their master's degree but want to expand their practice to a role in administration.
Successful graduates complete 16 credit hours of classes as well as a 90-hour internship with a chief nursing officer or preceptor. The program culminates in a capstone project demonstrating the student's effectiveness in an executive role at a health care institution. Other programs may focus on different aspects of healthcare services, such as HR, finance, information technology or management.
Courses for the certification offered at Seton Hall University include the following:
- Nursing and Health Systems Administration
- Risk Management in Healthcare
- Financial Management of Healthcare Systems
- Managed Care and Reimbursement Systems
- Executive Internship
Some programs concentrate on information systems for healthcare providers. Students should determine their career goals before deciding on the best program that meets their needs.
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Health Services Administration Graduate Certificate?
- Medical and Health Services Managers: These professionals work in clinics, hospitals, public health agencies, and managed care organizations. They direct, plan, or coordinate health services.
- Administrative Services Managers: Graduates with a health services administration post-master's certification may find jobs as administrative service managers who direct or coordinate information management, records, mail distribution, or other health administration tasks.
- Business Continuity Planners: In this role, professionals implement and maintain disaster recovery and business continuity in healthcare settings. These leaders strategize by completing risk assessments and analysis to choose a business continuity plan for sensitive patient information. They also coordinate recovery plans following a disruptive event.
Health Services Administration Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a health services administration graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|University of Iowa||Iowa City, IA||Hybrid - Health Services Administration|
|Park University||Parkville, MO||Online - Health Services Management and Leadership |
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs