Nursing Informatics Post-Master's Certificate Programs
- What Are the Online Nursing Informatics Post-Master's Certificate Requirements?
- What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Nursing Informatics Post-Master's Certificate Curriculum?
- What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Nursing Informatics Post-Master's Certificate?
- Nursing Informatics Post-Master’s Certificate Programs List
By earning an online post-graduate certificate in Nursing Informatics, nurses can step into a career that blends information and computer science with nursing fundamentals. These online post-grad certs allow dedicated students to move into the nursing informatics specialty in less time than completing a second master's degree. The post-master's nursing informatics certificate is commonly offered online, though hybrid or on-campus programs can also be found.
What Are the Online Nursing Informatics Post-Master's Certificate Requirements?
Most online post-graduate certs for nursing informatics programs include the following requirements:
- Completed application with supporting documents.
- Graduate and undergraduate degrees, including transcripts and degree proofs of completion.
- GPA of 2.5-3.0
- Unexpired, unencumbered nursing license
- A required number of completed practice hours as an RN (some programs)
- Proof of required immunizations
- Resume with letters of reference or professional interview (some programs)
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Nursing Informatics Post-Master's Certificate Curriculum?
Nursing informatics post-grad certificates, which are commonly offered online, are typically 15-18 credits in length though this may vary depending on the school. At Vanderbilt University, for instance, students complete an introductory course on informatics followed by an implementation and management course. Next students complete two advanced informatics courses, one of which focuses on managing the information system lifecycle. These are followed by two intensive data-to-information courses. Though Vanderbilt lacks a practicum, in which students implement theory learned in class, a practicum is required by many programs.
Courses taken in an online nursing Informatics post-grad certificate may include:
- Foundations or Fundamentals of Nursing Informatics
- Advanced Nursing Informatics I&II
- Clinical Information Systems
- Healthcare Data Implementation, Management, and Assessment
- Informatics and Public Health, Global Healthcare or Population (elective)
- Nursing Informatics Practicum or Residency
Nurses should familiarize themselves with program requirements, including any electives or practicums, prior to enrolling.
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Nursing Informatics Post-Master's Certificate?
Nurses with a post-grad cert in nursing informatics learn how to bring together the worlds of information technology and patient care. By developing their data and information management skills, these nurses learn how to apply numbers and data analysis to measurably improve both individual patient care and larger, health care systems. Informatics nurses, however, typically do not provide day-to-day clinical care to patients. According to Queens University, an informatics nurse may work to improve electronic medical records.
Job opportunities for students who complete a post-master's cert in nursing informatics include clinical information specialist, nursing informatics analyst, and information practice specialist.
Nursing Informatics Post-Master’s Certificate Programs ListInterested in a nursing informatics post-master's certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|Jacksonville University||Jacksonville, FL||Online - Nursing Informatics|
|University of Maryland||Baltimore, MD||Online - Nursing Informatics|
|Walden University||Minneapolis, MN||Hybrid - Nursing Informatics|
|Queens University of Charlotte||Charlotte, NC||Online - Nursing Informatics|
|Nebraska Methodist College||Omaha, NE||Online - Nursing Informatics|
|Le Moyne College||Syracuse, NY||Hybrid - Nursing Informatics|
|University of Pennsylvania||Philadelphia, PA||Hybrid - Nursing Informatics|
|University of Pittsburgh||Pittsburgh, PA||Online - Nursing Informatics|
|Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center||Lubbock, TX||Hybrid - Nursing Informatics|
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.