For registered nurses who love their older patients, an online graduate certificate in adult gerontology nursing can be a great fit. People are living longer and longer due to medical advances, and the geriatric population is growing quickly. The need for adult gerontology nurses is here to stay.
What Are the Online Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate Requirements
Online adult gerontology graduate certificates are commonly referred to as post-master’s certificates. While many of these programs prefer that applicants have spent some time working in a professional setting with elderly populations, this isn’t always a requirement. Nurses who do not have professional experience with geriatric populations may consider volunteering time in a nursing home or other geriatric care facility to learn more about the population and gain experience for the application process.
Requirements for admission to a post-master’s certificate in adult gerontology nursing program may include:
- MSN from an accredited college or university
- GPA of at least 3.0
- Active, unencumbered RN license
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate Curriculum?
Post-master’s certificates in adult gerontology nursing provide RNs with instruction on issues unique to older populations at the Nurse Practitioner (NP) level. Nurses who are interested in catering to a specific disorder or population (i.e. primary care or acute care) may want to closely examine course offerings before choosing a program.
Classes required for graduation from a post-master’s certificate in adult gerontology nursing program may include:
- Advanced pathology
- Advanced pharmacology
- Advanced Health Assessment & Diagnostic Reasoning
- Adult-gerontology primary care (including young-adult, adult, and older-adult)
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Practicum
Upon completion of the certificate program, nurses are eligible to sit for the Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Certification Exam in either primary care or acute care.
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate?
There are many options for nurse practitioners who earn their online graduate certificate in adult gerontology nursing. While some nurses who earn this certificate continue to work in standard healthcare settings, others prefer a different environment.
Career options for nurse practitioners who earn a post-master’s certificate in adult gerontology nursing include:
- Nursing Home Facility Nurse Practitioner: Nursing home and assisted living facilities offer unique opportunities to nurse practitioners. NPs get the chance to form close relationships with their patients, as they’re likely to see patients more often than they would in a hospital or other appointment-based healthcare facility.
- Home Health Care Nurse Practitioner: Rather than work in traditional healthcare facilities, some nurse practitioners provide in-home care. Home health care nurse practitioners who specialize in geriatric care may work to care for patients with specific health issues, in hospice care, or another specialty for the geriatric population. This position can also give nurse practitioners the chance to get to know the family networks of homebound patients.
- Gerontology Nurse Practitioner in Private Practice: Nurse practitioners have the option of opening a private practice. For nurses who have spent years building a client base at a traditional healthcare facility, this can be an especially lucrative option that allows nurses to provide an excellent standard of care while continuing to build relationships with geriatric patients.
Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate Programs List
Interested in an adult gerontology nurse practitioner post-master's certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|University of Iowa||Iowa City, IA||Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner|
|Seattle University||Seattle, WA||Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioners|
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs