Completing an online Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate program helps registered nurses to advance their skills and their career opportunities. Nurses that earn the graduate certificate (also commonly referred to as a post-master’s certificate) prepare to assume advanced roles caring for patients across the lifespan. This is an ideal qualification for a nurse who already holds a Master’s of Science in Nursing (MSN) but wants to further specialize in family care.
What Are the Online Family Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate Requirements?
Online family nurse practitioner (FNP) post-master’s certificate programs at colleges and universities tend to have similar admissions requirements, which students must meet in full in order to be eligible for program admission. Common requirements include:
- Student must declare their intention by applying to the program office or program director
- Must present a copy of transcript demonstrating completion of a Master's of Science in Nursing (MSN) from an accredited program
- Must have current licensure as a registered nurse (RN)
- Student must have completed graduate-level courses in pharmacology and physiology along with comprehensive assessment and in epidemiology with a minimum grade of B or better
- Must submit three professional letters of recommendation
Students are responsible for knowing the requirements for admission into an FNP graduate certificate program, and to make sure that they meet all of the requirements before the designated deadline.
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Family Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate Curriculum?
Students who complete an online or hybrid graduate certificate family nurse practitioner program typically have the opportunity to complete required clinical hours in their own area. The required program curriculum may vary, and typically requires anywhere from 17 to 33 credits. Coursework may include:
- Advanced Family Nursing Theory I
- Family Nurse Practitioner Practicum I and Seminar
- Advanced Family Nursing Theory II
- Family Nurse Practitioner Practicum II and Seminar
- Family Nurse Practitioner Practicum III and Seminar
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Family Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate?
Nurses who earn a family nurse practitioner graduate certificate have a variety of career opportunities. Completing this type of program can lead to career opportunities working in hospitals, clinics, long-term care facilities, government health agencies, schools, or correctional facilities.
The family nurse practitioner treats patients both young and old. They do more than care for patients with illnesses. They also provide preventative and health education services. FNPs with graduate certificates have the specialized expertise to perform a variety of roles and to advance the quality of nursing care.
Family Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate Programs List
Interested in a family nurse practitioner post-master's certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|Walsh University||North Canton, OH||Hybrid - Family Nurse Practitioner|
|Drexel University||Philadelphia, PA||Online - Post-Master's Family Nurse Practitioner|
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs