Sociology Graduate Certificate Programs
Sociology is the study of human relations – both social and with communal institutions. From law and order to a society's art, economics, and more – it's a great humanities subject valued in various job roles, from government to charity work.
A sociology graduate certificate is ideal for geography, anthropology, urban studies, and a range of other graduates who want to work in applying skills to human issues.
What Are the Online Sociology Graduate Certificate Requirements?
If you're currently searching for a sociology graduate certificate, you will find this long-standing traditional subject has plenty of options in many states. Application requirements may vary between states and between each institution but they typically include:
- Minimum academic entry grade is usually between 2.5 and 3.5 though on average, most are 3.0 on the 4.0 scale
- Transcript copies in support of your grade and relevant academic background, including any required prerequisite courses
- Some colleges only open their graduate certificates to students who are already enrolled on, or who have graduated from, their own master's program
- A personal statement of intent explaining why you want to study sociology and how this will benefit your intended career
- A short essay addressing a current issue in sociology
- Two or three letters of recommendation and a resume
- Any introductory prerequisite courses
- If English is not your primary language, the college admissions process will require proof of proficiency. Courses in TOEFL, PTE, and IELTS are usually preferred though some will also accept DuoLingo certification
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Sociology Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Sociology graduate certificates are built up of a range of relevant courses. Here is a selection of the subjects that you might study. Some courses are mandatory while others are electives:
- Advanced General Sociology
- Contemporary Social Issues
- Advanced Research Methods
- Sociological Theory
- Social Stratification
- Sociology of the Families
- Contemporary Social Theory
- Urban Sociology
- Sociology of Diversity & Inclusion
- Social Statistics
- Public Sociology
- Capstone Project
- Social Policy Analysis
- Latin Studies
- Transnational Perspectives
- Environment for Sociology
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Sociology Graduate Certificate?
You will be able to apply for roles in and embark on careers related to sociology upon successful completion of your sociology graduate certification. These careers include, but are not limited to:
- Clinical Social Worker: With the right medical or mental health background, you may be eligible to work helping with behavioral, neurodiverse, or mental health issues.
- Human Services Caseworker: Similarly, this role helps people with social issues, typically in groups rather than as individuals. Employed by governments or charities to help with issues like housing problems and local pollution.
- Adoption Therapist: Helping adoptees interact and blend into their new families and families cope with the struggles of taking on a child with trauma.
- Market Researcher: As sociology deals with people, their thoughts and feelings, you are in an ideal place to research for business, social policy, or government, and use that data for decision making.
- Probation Officer: This is an officer in law enforcement responsible for supervising convicted criminals released from prison but still subject to criminal justice (for example, early parolees).
- Teacher / Professor: Teaching is a great career option whether you're interested in K-12, or teaching in colleges and universities.
Sociology Graduate Certificate Programs ListInterested in a sociology graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|Grand Canyon University||Phoenix, AZ||Online - Sociology|
|Appalachian State University||Boone, NC||Online - Sociology|
|Sam Houston State University||Huntsville, TX||Online - Sociology|
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.