Law Enforcement organizations need managers, administrators, organizers, and other desk-based roles to oversee the day-to-day management of teams and departments. Such administrators are required in both the police and Federal agencies such as the CIA and FBI.
A Law Enforcement Administration Graduate Certificate is for those considering a career in management, administration, or senior officer roles – usually for those with field experience but now considering other options.
What Are the Online Law Enforcement Administration Graduate Certificate Requirements?
U.S. schools with law enforcement administration graduate certificate programs expect applicants to meet all admissions criteria. While this will vary based on school, it will often include:
- A bachelor's degree in public administration, public policy, or business administration
- A relevant master's degree in a similar subject
- Minimum GPA of 2.5; however, some may ask for higher
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities previously attended
- For students who do not speak English as a first language, you will be asked to prove English proficiency. PTEA, TOEFL, and IELTS are the most common. Alternate standards are often accepted such as ELS112 and DuoLingo certification
- Letters of recommendation: usually two to three. Applicants with work experience but no recent academic background may submit employer references.
- Application fee
- A short personal statement explaining your reasons for applying. Some colleges ask for a longer essay asking a specific industry question. Sometimes, you will be asked to provide both a short personal statement and a longer essay
What Types of Classes Are Included in the Online Law Enforcement Administration Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
The curriculum for a law enforcement administration graduate degree will consist of mandatory core courses and sometimes several electives. Common course titles and topics in this type of program include:
- Modern Policing
- Criminal Justice Organization and Management
- Police Accountability
- Public Management & Administration
- Financial Administration
- Ethics & Public Values
- Organizational Communication & Conflict Resolution
- Organizational Decision Making
- Emergency Management
- Human Resources Systems
- Law Enforcement Executive Leadership
- Building Strategic Partnerships
- Social Problems & Solutions
- Leadership Skills
- Public Presentations & Media
- Immigration Law
What Type of Career Can I Pursue with an Online Law Enforcement Administration Graduate Certificate?
A Graduate Certificate in Law Enforcement provides access to many public administration roles and some in the private sector, including:
- Private Investigator: Working for private clients – individuals and corporations – to investigate private matters or potential criminal cases.
- Parole / Probation Officer: Administration in law enforcement means overseeing prisoners’ impending release dates. You will evaluate parolees and determine whether it is advisable to release them.
- Correctional Administration Officers: Working within the prison and corrections system, you will work at higher levels carrying out admin tasks, day-to-day logistics, or overseeing prisoner programs.
- Police Manager: Managing teams of officers and their resources, you will work behind the scenes on a variety of tasks.
- Customs and Border Protection Managers: Law enforcement begins at the borders of the U.S. There are many roles here: checking customs for goods entering the country, or processing visitors and immigrants.
- Intelligence Analyst: Required in both police departments and Federal agencies, you will work from an office researching and analyzing intelligence data. This information is used to plan police actions such as stings and criminal investigations.
Law Enforcement Administration Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a law enforcement administration graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|Online - Justice Leadership
|River Grove, IL
|Criminal Justice Administration Law Enforcement
|Online - Public Safety Leadership
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs