Since 2001, national security has needed a new kind of law enforcement professional. It was introduced specifically to deal with gaps in legislation and law enforcement on the ground in the wake of the 9/11 attacks.
A Homeland Security Graduate Certificate is for those interested in a career in military intelligence and investigating domestic terrorism. This certificate will add to your existing criminal justice degree(s), allowing you to work with specialty government agencies and programs.
What Are the Online Homeland Security Graduate Certificate Requirements?
U.S. schools offering homeland security graduate certificates require applicants to adhere to admissions criteria. While exact requirements are at the discretion of the school, most include the following:
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline such as law, mathematics, or other STEM area (for forensics work)
- A relevant master's degree in criminal justice, forensics, or law
- Minimum GPA of 2.75m though some schools may request up to 3.5
- Official transcripts from all universities attended
- Proof of English language proficiency is required for applicants from a non-English speaking country. Relevant standards are PTEA, TOEFL, and IELTS as the most common. Some may accept DuoLingo or ELS112
- 2-3 letters of recommendation from academic or professional sources
- A short personal statement of about 500 words and/or an essay
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Homeland Security Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Several mandatory and elective courses make up the curriculum of a homeland security grad certificate. The program can usually be completed in around one academic year. Typical coursework includes:
- Introduction to Homeland Security
- Foundations of Homeland Defense and Security
- Current Issues in Homeland Defense and Security
- Approaches to Homeland Security
- Strategic Planning and Organizational Imperatives
- Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Domestic Terrorism
- International Terrorism
- Policing and Terrorism
- Etiology of Martyrdom
- Security Studies
- Integrated Emergency Management
- Religion and the Criminal Justice
- Federal Criminal Law
- Organized and White-Collar Crime
- Multinational Crime
- Anti-Terrorism Laws
- Capstone Project
- Crisis and Emergency Public Relations
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online Homeland Security Graduate Certificate?
Many rewarding careers are open to you with a homeland security graduate certificate. Popular career pathways include:
- Secret Service Agent: Working for the Department of Homeland Security, NSA, or the CIA, you can work researching terrorist groups, going undercover, and protecting national security on the frontlines.
- Data and Security Analysts: Working behind a desk, you could examine data provided by field agencies, decoding and monitoring messages between potential terror suspects.
- Border Patrol Agent: Support efforts to detect terrorism and terrorists at the border, monitoring those entering the U.S. for suspicious activity.
- Emergency Management: Disaster management needs people with some of the skills acquired during a homeland security graduate certificate. Natural disasters create the same kinds of problems as large terrorist attacks.
- Transport Security Screening: As part of the TSA, screen people and baggage transporting across the U.S. on domestic flights or transcontinental buses.
Homeland Security Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a homeland security graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs