Creative Writing harnesses an important area of human creativity – fiction. Whether it's writing and editing books, scriptwriting, creating content for video games, and/or other creative outlets, this is a formal look at the technical and processual side of human creativity.
An online Creative Writing Graduate Certificate is a suitable educational pathway for those wishing to write their own novels or publish and edit professionally. This is also a relevant qualification for educators who wish to teach creative writing.
What Are the Online Creative Writing Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Creative writing is an important area; most colleges around the U.S. offer academic study in some form. If you are considering an online Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing, you will be expected meet the school's admissions criteria. While this will vary by program, most will ask that you fulfill the following:
- A bachelor's degree in a related subject such as English language, literature, etc.
- A master's degree in a related, relevant subject
- A GPA of 2.5 or above. Some schools may ask for 3.0 or higher
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended
- A sample (usually ten pages) of a creative writing project
- If English is not your first language, you will be expected to provide English communication evidence through certification: PTEA, IELTS, and TOEFL, though some accept ELS112 and DuoLingo
- 2-3 letters of recommendation. Academic recommendations preferred, but employer references may also be accepted
- Application fee
- Written personal statement/essay in addition to the creative writing sample
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Creative Writing Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
Online Creative Writing Graduate Certificates include coursework in advanced literature and writing techniques, and may also include elective coursework. Classes titles may include:
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- Poetry: Writing & Critiquing
- Studies in Genre
- Craft of Creative Writing
- Modern and Contemporary US Literature
- Modern and Contemporary US Poetry
- Studies in English Language Novels
- Developing Writing Skills
- The Craft of Reading
- The Art of Editing
- Writing About Place
- Contemporary & Alternative Voices
- Essay Writing
- General Nonfiction Writing
- Science Writing
- Memoir Writing & Editing
- Journalism & Media
- Capstone Project
Creative Writing Graduate Certificate Careers
An online Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing opens the doors to many fulfilling writing careers. Pathways with this grad cert in hand may include:
- Screenwriter: Screenwriters write scripts and screenplays for adaptation for the movie and television industries.
- Creative Director: A creative director works in TV, movies, and stage, to direct the creative production and have final say on creative decisions.
- Copywriter / Content Writer: Writing marketing collateral or other sales material, a copywriter crafts sales pitches in emails, blogs, leaflets, and more to persuade potential customers and/or to get a brand's message across.
- Newspaper / Magazine Editor: You could work as an editor for print media including newspapers and magazines, making final editorial and publishing decisions.
- Copy Editor / Proofreader: With your skill in structure, grammar, and syntax, you can find work editing the creative content of others. Copy Editors advise on content while proofreaders correct errors.
- Publishing Agent: Helping writers get representation in publishing houses and negotiate contracts.
- Author / Novelist: This may be the first career choice that comes to mind for creative writing graduates – writing and publishing books of fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and more.
- Reviewer: Magazines, websites, newspapers hire reviewers of new media. Book reviewers will critique the style and the content.
- Creative Writing Teacher: If you are already a teacher or educator, earning a grad certificate in Creative Writing can open exciting opportunities to teach the discipline at the high school or college level, or even in adult continuing education.
Creative Writing Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a creative writing graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.