An online electrical engineering graduate certificate allows students who already have a master's degree to deepen their knowledge in specific areas of electrical engineering. These programs increase your knowledge in preparation for further graduate studies or career development. Certificate programs usually provide a lot of flexibility to fit student interests, and courses build on the foundation of EE and other sciences.
Courses vary in different programs but typically include EE concepts. Students learn to use applications, simulations and tools to solve engineering challenges. Topics might include signal processing, hardware systems, physical technology and communications.
What Are the Online Electrical Engineering Graduate Certificate Requirements?
Colleges and universities offering electrical engineering graduate certificates give preference to applications from current or former students. However, they also take students from other institutions. If you have a background in engineering, scientific research, mathematics or computing, you may be a good fit for most EE grad certs. Other students at Stanford's program include circuit designers who want to learn more about RF, analog, and digital design. Application and system engineers, natural science researchers, and anyone interested in machine learning and augmented reality might benefit from a deeper understanding of electrical engineering.
To qualify for electrical engineering graduate certificates, students will need to meet the following admissions requirements:
- Bachelor's or master's degree with a GPA of 3.0 or better
- B.S. in science or engineering
- Advanced understanding of chemistry
Although the requirements vary by program, these requirements are relatively standard.
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Electrical Engineering Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
The University of Wisconsin Milwaukee offers an EE graduate certification that focuses on renewable energy. As current resources dwindle, this area of the industry will receive more attention. Graduates go on to careers at energy companies or start-ups focusing on the efficient use of energy. Students learn to design mechanical and electrical devices that concentrate on renewable energy. However, the program also includes core electrical engineering courses and other science-based subjects.
There are two groups of courses and students complete at least 15 credits. Two courses must focus on Group A to achieve an Energy Certificate. The other five courses can include any of the other classes listed or available, with at least six credits consisting of 700-level courses.
Group A: (minimum of two classes)
- Electric Power Systems
- Power Electronics
- Analysis of Electric Machines
- Internal Combustion Engines
- Solar Engineering
- Intermediate Control Systems
- Air Conditioning System Design
- Power Plant Theory and Design
Group B Credits: (subject to change)
- Advanced Synchronous Machinery
- Computer Analysis of Electric Power Systems
- Advanced Power Electronics
- Automotive Power Systems
- Introduction to Control for Renewable Energy System
- Renewable Energy Systems
- Advanced Independent Study
- Advanced Engineering Thermodynamics
- Principles of Combustion
- Advanced Transport Processes
- Thermal Radiation and Conduction
- Convection Heat and Mass Transfer
- Energy Transport in Microscale Systems
- Two-Phase Flow
- Fundamentals of Fluid Flow
- Advanced Independent Study
Electrical Engineering Graduate Certificate Careers
Several career pathways are available to those who earn an online grad certificate in electrical engineering. Popular choices include:
- Electrical Engineer: Design electrical equipment for the building industry, transportation, construction, and manufacturing, focusing on the distribution and control of power.
- Nuclear Engineer: Use mathematical and computer models to power or decommission nuclear facilities.
- Aerospace Engineer: Research and develop electronics and other systems in missiles, satellites, aircraft, weapons systems, and space vehicles.
Electrical Engineering Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in an electrical engineering graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|Yale University||New Haven, CT||Hybrid - Electrical Engineering|
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs