Biomedical engineering is a subdiscipline of bioengineering specifically applying to medical applications. Such engineers design equipment to improve medical health, replace lost limbs, and apply artificial organs.
An online Biomedical Engineering Graduate Certificate is the ideal addition to a bioengineering or other engineering degree. With it, you can apply your skills towards improving lives – designing and testing equipment and improving existing devices.
What Are the Online Biomedical Engineering Graduate Certificate Requirements?
To enter an online Biomedical Engineering Graduate Certificate program, you will be expected to provide evidence that you fulfill qualifying criteria. While these will vary based on school and program type, most schools will require the following:
- A relevant bachelor's and master's degree in engineering, bioengineering, biology, or medical qualifications involving engineering
- Minimum GPA of 3.0. Some schools require higher – either 3.25 or 3.5
- Submission of all official transcripts
- If English is a second or third language you will need to provide certification in a relevant and accredited study program such as IELTS, PTEA, and TOEFL. Some also accept ELS112 and DuoLingo
- Two letters of recommendation (sometimes three)
- A non-refundable application fee
- A short personal statement going into further details
- Some schools will ask you to write an essay addressing an industry question
What Type of Classes Are Included in the Online Biomedical Engineering Graduate Certificate Curriculum?
The curriculum for Biomedical Engineering Graduate Certificates mix both elective and mandatory courses. Subjects covered may include:
- Introduction to Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology
- Cardiovascular Physiology
- Clinical Pathophysiology
- Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Applied Math for Life Scientists
- Occupational Biomechanics
- Medical Device Design
- Biochips and Medical Imaging
- Medical Imaging Systems
- Autonomous Implantable Systems
- Introduction to Micro and Nano Electromechanical Systems
- Modeling Biomedical Systems
- Computational Methods for Biomedical Image Analysis and Interpretation
- Advanced Biochemical Engineering
- Technology Assessment and Regulation of Medical Devices
- AI Systems for Healthcare
What Type of Careers Can I Pursue with an Online Biomedical Engineering Graduate Certificate?
An online Graduate Certificate in Biomedical Engineering will allow you to work in several career roles, including:
- Biomedical Engineer: The most obvious and common career option, a biomedical engineer designs medical equipment for medical application from prosthetics to imaging machines.
- Clinical Engineer: Your job is to look at the results and biomedical equipment and advise healthcare professionals on how to improve results and alter the application of existing devices.
- Biomaterials Engineer: Design materials for use in medical applications such as drug delivery systems, regenerative tissue, and nano implants, for improved medical application and results.
- Rehabilitation Engineering: Design and build devices for use in rehabilitation. This includes wheelchairs, physiotherapy technology, and specialist exercise equipment.
- Safety Engineer: Examine equipment designed and developed through the jobs mentioned above for safety issues in line with medical engineering regulations.
- Sales Representative: Your knowledge of the intricacies of such equipment will be useful in selling equipment to hospitals and health authorities. Specialist sales often need in-depth knowledge.
Biomedical Engineering Graduate Certificate Programs List
Interested in a biomedical engineering graduate certificate program? Check out our listings below to find a traditional, online, or hybrid program near you.
|Yale University||New Haven, CT||Hybrid - Biomedical Engineering|
Do we need to add to or update any of the information listed? Please contact us so we can keep our site updated.
Other Related Certificate Programs